Pat Coston Movie Reviews

Friday, April 16, 2010



Kick-Ass

I'm still a little bit in shock after watching Kick-Ass which definitely lived up to its name. I thought maybe I should wait a few days and absorb and contemplate what I just saw. What the hell, let's go for it. Chloe Moretz (Hit-Girl) really stands out as the 11 year old girl with the purple hair who can shred a roomful of gangsters with guns like it was child's play. Hit-Girl is the new Grrrrl Power poster girl. This movie is rated R for a reason. The violence is way more extreme than you'd see in a PG-13 flick. The potty mouth on Hit-Girl is pretty shocking. You just don't hear 11 year old girls use that kind of language in movies. There is sex and nudity so it has everything to bump it up to an R-rating. What is up with Clark Duke. His career is on fire with Superbad, Sex Drive, Hot Tub Time Machine and now Kick Ass. Christopher Mintz-Plasse plays Red Mist. You might remember him as Fogell in Superbad. I didn't recognize him in the Red Mist outfit. The Red Mist setup at the end is proof there will be a sequel. I waited to the end of the credits but there was no bonus scene. I was able to suspend disbelief until the scene with the jet pack. Modern jet packs can only stay aloft for about 1 minute and this one definitely exceed that time limit. Plus I think having gatling guns on each shoulder would not only leave you deaf but the kick back would send someone in a jet pack flying backwards. Hit-Girl does this amazing move where she ejects her hand-gun cartridges and flips two more up in the air as she's running and manages to slam the guns onto them in mid-air. I'm not sure that's possible but it was certainly cool to watch. I thought Big-Daddy looked too much like Batman. I saw a web page that compared the comic to the movie and he had a very different appearance in the comic. So did Red Mist. One final thought ... I don't think anyone will dress up and try to be a superhero. The movie definitely made it clear that fighting crime is dangerous to your health.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home